Rehabilitation for Older Adults Essay
This essay sample will help in understanding elderly rehabilitation and its principles of it. Elderly rehabilitation is defined as to maintain and improve the health and capability of older people. Here you might think who requires elderly rehabilitation?
Well elderly rehabilitation is required to support the elders who have
- Met with an accident
- Had an operation
- Having the risk of falling
- Deterioration in the mobility
- Recently discharged from the hospital
A program is designed in Singapore to take into account the patient’s requirements and goals. Singapore has set up community rehabilitation centres, stroke rehabilitation, and geriatric centres.
Hire a Professional Essay & Assignment Writer for completing your Academic Assessments
Native Singapore Writers Team
- 100% Plagiarism-Free Essay
- Highest Satisfaction Rate
- Free Revision
- On-Time Delivery
The Most Common Rehabilitation Needs for Older Adults
There is a need for elderly rehabilitation because of the following outcomes.
- Improving the quality of life
- Maintaining muscle strength
- Helping in carrying out the living activities
- Maximizing elderly people safety
- Improving mobility outdoor and indoor
Rehabilitation helps patients to excel economically and socially.
Principles of Rehabilitation for older adults
There are seven rehabilitation principles.
- Avoid aggravation– aggravations are to be avoided such as an injury during the process of rehabilitation.
- Timing– the therapeutic exercise should begin as soon as the patient registers for the rehabilitation program.
- Compliance– it is necessary to ensure compliance of the patient. They must be aware of the program and the course of rehabilitation.
- Individualization– every person responses differently towards exercise. Expecting the same progress in every patient is not possible.
- Specific Sequencing– the exercise program must follow a specific sequence of therapy. It is to be determined through the psychological healing response of the body.
- Intensity– the intensity level of the exercise must increase according to the patient’s response.
- Total patient– it is significant to make sure the other body parts are also fine. The muscle and strength exercise must not impact the cardiovascular system of the patient’s body.
Guidelines of elderly rehabilitation
Some of the major guidelines for elderly rehabilitation are given below.
According to World Health organizations, rehabilitation centres must aim at
- Restoring or improving
- Preventing the loss
- Maintaining the current function
Other guidelines are
- Monitoring of financial resources
- Examining patient’s work-related benefits such as pension and social security.
- To be physically and mentally active to maintain cognitive skills and health.
- Promoting occupational therapy and physical therapy in community programs.
- To understand patients’ social or physical environment and support factors.
- To examine the past medical history of the patient.
A geriatric patient is an elder with overall impaired body functions. It is the branch of medicine to study physical therapy and rehabilitation problems in older people. With increased age, older people face emotional and physical changes that affect their level of social, mental, and physical well-being. The rehabilitation goal is to maintain functional dependency in older people.
Geriatric rehabilitation focuses on these areas
- Normal ageing like de-conditioning and disuse
- Skeletal problems
- Cardiovascular problems, stroke, and vascular diseases
- Osteoarthritis, knee replacement, and osteoporosis
- Loss of vision and hearing
Outlook at rehabilitation services
The rehabilitation services can help elderly patients to regain their ability and have a full recovery. They offer therapy that is significant if a patient is suffering from a fracture, heart disease, stroke, or any other illness. Such disabilities affect their ability to do everyday life functions like going to the bathroom or walking around. Many services are offered by rehabilitation centres for patients well being. They offer services such as
- Preventive therapy
- Day rehabilitation services
- Home therapy services
Different types of therapy are provided. It includes
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
From the above article, we can conclude that these rehabilitation centres are important for older people. Elder people suffering from physical impairment and disabilities due to illness can improve their mobility and overall health. These rehabilitation centres provide preventive therapy programs and physiotherapy aimed to help elderly patients. There is a need to set up more rehabilitation centres as they offer many services and benefits to patients.
Hire experienced writers to draft your essays and assignments!
The above essay sample helps in understanding elderly rehabilitation. Sociology subjects and theories are difficult to understand and are written after proper research. It requires extensive research and expertise to understand search topics.
So, having problems with writing essays and homework?
Are you looking to ‘write an essay for me‘ or ‘complete my assignment’ service? If the answer is yes, here is the perfect solution. Get Singapore homework help assistance from Singapore assignment help at reasonable prices. Students studying sociology can buy sociological assignments from us. You can pay our expert writers to assist you in writing assignments and dissertations. You can purchase Sociological Aspects of ageing essays from our eminent writers.
- Compare and contrast between Psychology and Sociology Essay Sample
- Biomechanics in Sports and Exercise Essay Sample
- Depression and Social Care Essay Sample
- Consumer Decision-Making Process Essay Sample
- Attribution Theory in Human Resource Management Essay Sample
- Risk Perception Theories Essay Sample
- Cognitive Dissonance Theory Essay Sample
- Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy
- Development Psychology Reflection
- Model of Adaptive Grieving Dynamics (MAGD)
- Kohlberg’s Theory of Moral Development Essay
- Kubler-Ross’s Stages of Dying
- Rehabilitation for Older Adults
- PP058: Young People in Society
- Fishbone Diagram Theory Sample