|University||Singapore University of Social Science (SUSS)|
|Subject||COM322: Media Law and Ethics|
Fake news boom, and can we mitigate it? Fake news is a thorny issue. The problem is amplified with social networks globalizing digital communications. A study from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology indicates that with more people relying on online platforms for social interaction, false information spreads more rapidly on social networks than real news does.
For instance, fake news stories are 70% more likely to be retweeted and can reach viewers ten to twenty times faster than facts on Twitter. In Southeast Asia, the rise in digitalization has grown in tandem with the proliferation of fake news. Today the region is home to millions of avid smartphone users.
It is estimated that 68% of the region’s total population are social media users and young people between 16-24 years old are spending an average of more than 10 hours per day on the internet. This makes the region a perfect breeding ground for fake news. Source: Martinus, M. (2023, February 15). Can ASEAN mitigate fake news in Southeast Asia?
Fulcrum. Retrieved February 24, 2023, from the ASEAN countries, governments have enacted various types of fake news laws to curtail the spread of fake news, namely to prevent the proliferation of harmful information and preserve national security.
With the excerpt in mind, examine the impact of fake news on digital media users and the available laws in Singapore that govern against it. Discuss the benefits and dangers of regulating fake news on digital media and analyze whether a government can implement a self-regulatory model to promote responsibility among users.
Buy Custom Answer of This Assessment & Raise Your Grades
Looking for Plagiarism free Answers for your college/ university Assignments.
- HBC203: Ravi, a communications researcher, wants to find out if Singaporean parents’ concern about their children’s exposure: Statistics and Data Analysis for the Social and Behavioral Sciences Assignment, SUSS
- Discuss 5 issues faced with having workforce diversity within your organization. Explain the issues you have: Workforce Diversity Essay, SIM
- LB5402: There are six purposes of a performance management system. From the case, identify and explain the THREE (3) purposes: Performance Management and Appraisal Assignment, JCU
- BSBSUS401: A person who demonstrates competence in this unit must be able to provide evidence of the ability to implement and monitor: Implement and Monitor Environmentally Sustainable Work Practices Case Study, DU
- POL298: With reference to different conceptual approaches in IPE, critically evaluate arguments for and against free international trade: International Political Economy Essay, MU
- 2005 MKT: You have decided to launch a new shower gel in Singapore You are required to prepare a detailed marketing plan for the launch: Marketing Management Report, Singapore
- Previously, in a non-digitalised world customer engagement was based around human interactions. However, now that the transactions: Consumer Behavior in the Digital Age Essay, UOE
- SWK356: Concerning the case study, appraise FIVE (5) underlying objectives of the IAmGoingHome project about Singapore’s: Social Work in Healthcare Assignment, SUSS
- HFS201: Describe human physical capabilities and limitations and their relevance to workplace design. Identify risk factors: Workplace Evaluation and Design Essay, SUSS
- SOC356: What were some social trends or issues that resonated with you in SOC356? Why did they do so and how would you relate: Urban Sociology Assignment, SUSS