(a) In a typical economy, the bulk of income earners are workers who earn income in the form of wages. It is in the interest of the government to increase the wages of the workers so that they can have a higher standard of living. Many economies such as the US, Hong Kong and Malaysia have adopted a minimum wage law which requires the employers to offer a wage above the equilibrium level in the labour market.
Comment on the effects on wage, employment and the social welfare of a minimum wage law using a labour market diagram. Are the workers better off under a minimum wage law? Explain. (15 marks)
(b) Instead of adopting a minimum wage law, Singapore government prefers two different measures to help the workers. One measure is the Wage Credit Scheme which co-pays the wage cost with employers. The other measure is the Progressive Wage Model which provides subsidies to train workers in relevant skills and courses.
Evaluate the effects of these two (2) measures on the equilibrium wage, employment and social welfare in the Singapore labour market. Support your answers using suitable labour market diagram(s). (15 marks)
(c) Compare and contrast the effects of minimum wage law, the Wage Credit Scheme and the Progressive Wage Model.
Explain their advantages and disadvantages in terms of wages, employment and social welfare. In your opinion, which scheme is the best policy to raise the welfare of the workers? Justify your answers. (10 marks)
Looking for Plagiarism free Answers for your college/ university Assignments.
- Amir has just Graduated from his Part-Time Diploma in Sports Coaching: Safety and Risk Management in Sports Coursework, NUS
- QTS0103: Jane’s Company Manufactures Face Mask at a Cost of $0.50 per Box: Business Mathematics Assignment, SIM
- BAM615: It is June 1st, 2020, Europe is Recovering from a Major Pandemic, Air Travel has Come to a Halt: Negotiation and Conflict Management Assignment, UOL
- BAM600: Identify a Leader Who, in Your Opinion, Displays Toxic Traits: Leadership and Ethical Decision Making Assignment, UOL
- You are Required to Obtain the Complete Published Financial Reports (Annual Report & Accounts) for an Organization: Accounting & Finance Coursework Assignment, SMU
- TLH307: In Many Cities, The Urban Environment has Only Recently been Re-Discovered as a Tourist Destination: Urban Tourism Assignment, UoS
- The Americans are Anxious. Six Months After an Initial Meeting, Osatech, the Renowned Japanese: Business Negotiations An International Perspective Assignment, SMU
- Steady-State Heat Conduction in a Region Indicates an Equilibrium Temperature: Partial Differential Equations Assignment, SMU
- Assume that You are Currently Working at One of the Top Investment Banks in Singapore: Finance Assignment, SIM
- LAW 0115: On 24 Mar 2020, the Government of Singapore Imposed a Ban on Social Gatherings of more than 10 People: Business Law Assignment, SIM