Consider the cigarettes market in an economy. The demand for cigarettes is given by the equation P = 20 – 0.2Q and the supply of cigarettes is given by the equation P = 5 + 0.1Q, where P is the price per packet in dollars and Q is the number of packets of cigarettes.
(a) Assume that the cigarettes market is perfectly competitive. Solve for the market equilibrium price and quantity of cigarettes. Compute the producer surplus and the consumer surplus in the cigarettes market. Use a well-labelled graph to illustrate all of the characteristics of the competitive market equilibrium you have solved for. (10 marks)
(b) To discourage cigarettes consumption, the government imposes a tax of $3 per packet on the suppliers of cigarettes. Calculate the new market equilibrium quantity, the amount of tax revenue collected, the consumer surplus and the producer surplus after the tax is imposed. Determine the deadweight loss caused by the tax. Use one (1) well-labelled graph to illustrate the market outcome, before and after the tax. (12 marks)
(c) Under what supply and demand conditions can a tax be imposed without causing deadweight loss? Explain and justify your answers with suitable diagrams. (8 marks)
Looking for Plagiarism free Answers for your college/ university Assignments.
- Amir has just Graduated from his Part-Time Diploma in Sports Coaching: Safety and Risk Management in Sports Coursework, NUS
- QTS0103: Jane’s Company Manufactures Face Mask at a Cost of $0.50 per Box: Business Mathematics Assignment, SIM
- BAM615: It is June 1st, 2020, Europe is Recovering from a Major Pandemic, Air Travel has Come to a Halt: Negotiation and Conflict Management Assignment, UOL
- BAM600: Identify a Leader Who, in Your Opinion, Displays Toxic Traits: Leadership and Ethical Decision Making Assignment, UOL
- You are Required to Obtain the Complete Published Financial Reports (Annual Report & Accounts) for an Organization: Accounting & Finance Coursework Assignment, SMU
- TLH307: In Many Cities, The Urban Environment has Only Recently been Re-Discovered as a Tourist Destination: Urban Tourism Assignment, UoS
- The Americans are Anxious. Six Months After an Initial Meeting, Osatech, the Renowned Japanese: Business Negotiations An International Perspective Assignment, SMU
- Steady-State Heat Conduction in a Region Indicates an Equilibrium Temperature: Partial Differential Equations Assignment, SMU
- Assume that You are Currently Working at One of the Top Investment Banks in Singapore: Finance Assignment, SIM
- LAW 0115: On 24 Mar 2020, the Government of Singapore Imposed a Ban on Social Gatherings of more than 10 People: Business Law Assignment, SIM