|University||York Business School (YBS)|
|Subject||3BM070: Strategic Corporate Finance|
Information for Tasks 1 and 2
You work in the corporate finance department of a major investment bank. One of your clients has expressed an interest in investing in either ASOS (ASC:LSE) or Marks and Spencer (MKS:LSE).
You have collected the following information about the two companies:
|Statement of financial position as at:||31 August||1st April|
|ASOS||Marks and Spencer|
|Property plant and equipment||137.4||77.2||4,837.8||5,027.1|
|Trade and other receivables||28.6||15.0||318.6||321.1|
|Cash and cash equivalent||162.6||173.3||468.6||247.6|
|Trade and other payables||480.7||370.7||1,553.8||1,617.7|
|Current tax liabilities||5.8||2.9||66.6||75.2|
|Total equity and liabilities||840.4||650.0||8,292.5||8,476.4|
|Statement of comprehensive income for year ending:||31st August||1st April|
|Cost of sales||(965.3)||(722.7)||(6,534.2)||(6,427.0)|
|Other operating income||0.0||0.0||63.2||69.4|
|Finance income/(Costs) – Net||0.4||0.7||(76.8)||(95.3)|
|Profit before tax||80.0||42.8||176.4||488.8|
|Income tax expense||(15.9)||(8.1)||(60.7)||(84.4)|
|Profit from continuing operations||64.1||34.7||115.7||404.4|
|Profit attributable to owners of equity||64.1||24.4||115.7||404.4|
|Other comprehensive income||12.2||(67.5)||(44.9)||268.1|
|Total compincome/(loss) for year||76.3||(43.1)||70.8||672.5|
|Nominal value per share (£)||0.035||0.035||0.250||0.250|
|No. of Shares (Million)||82.9||82.9||1,624.7||1,623.0|
|Earnings per share (pence)||76.6||29.3||30.2||34.9|
|Dividends per share (pence)||nil||nil||23.3||18.4|
|Share price at year end (pence)||5,667.0||4,530.0||334.6||410.4|
|Value of equity (£m)||4,695.5||3,753.4||5,436.2||6,660.8|
|Price earnings ratio||74.0||154.6||11.1||11.8|
|Average p/e ratio for sector||17|
|Share price 30 November 2017(pence)||6,069.0||313.2|
|Equity value at 30 November 2017 (£m)||5,028.6||5,088.6|
NB: Above figures will be updated before the assignment is issued
|Notes on the above information:|
These have been reviewed for the most recent year and it is thought the figures should be adjusted follows:
|The Capital Asset Pricing Model|
Assume the risk free rate of return is 3% and the expected return on the market is 6% per cent.
Beta has been estimated as follows using two analysts and they have arrived at the following estimates:
Assume non-current liabilities are shown in the statement of financial position at par value and are non-redeemable.
The relative share price movements of the two companies are below
Task 1: Calculate Value of Asos plc and Marks and Spencer plc for the latest year (Use only the information contained in this assignment)
a) Net asset value
- Calculate the Net asset value per share.
b) Cost of capital
- Calculate the cost of equity capital using the Capital Asset Pricing Model.
- Calculate the cost of debt capital (assume a taxation rate of 20%).
- Calculate the weighted average cost of capital (WACC) using the share price as at 31 Dec 2017 for the value of equity.
c) Dividend growth model
- Basing your calculations on the dividend for 2017, use the dividend growth model to calculate the theoretical price of a share under the following assumptions:
g = 0%
g = 2%
Task 2 Comment on the value of ASOS plc and Marks and Spencer plc Required:
- Use the information from your calculations above and any other information you deem appropriate to arrive at the valuation per share of the two companies.
In doing so critically evaluate the Price-Earnings ratio, Dividend Growth, and the dividend policy.
- You should also relate your calculations to current and historic share price information as appropriate.
- Discuss which company you would advise your client to purchase shares in.
Are you searching for someone to do your assignment on 3BM070: Strategic Corporate Finance Assignment? then Singapore Assignment Help is the one-stop platform for this concern. We have a huge team of professionally skilled and qualified writers who have the longest years of experience to serve the best quality solution on Strategic Corporate Finance Assignment at an affordable price.
Looking for Plagiarism free Answers for your college/ university Assignments.
- PSY353e: students should listen to the podcast “Mental Health at Work”, facilitated by Dr. Emily Ortega and accessible: Positive Psychology Report, SUSS
- Drawing on current research and your own personal experience of being a mentor, provide a detailed analysis of the role of mentoring in providing support: Mentoring: Theory and Practice(guidance and counselling) Assignment, KU
- evaluating the tourism policy at a national or regional level and its value for tourism business development: Tourism Destination Management Report, YBS
- Discuss the roles of Evolutionary, sociocultural, and other Contextual factors in Determining human mate Preferences: Psychology Essay, NUS
- Identify and describe an operational business process or operational problem area from your current or previous experience: Operation Management Coursework, TP
- Topic 2 It there is ANY existing ERP system being adopted by your current company OR previous company OR any hypothetical company: Supply Chain Management Assignment, NTU
- OMGT 2225: Write a research paper following the suggested headings (see “d” below) related to Procurement Risk Management in Two Industries or Two sectors or Two large companies of your choice: Procurement Management And Global Sourcing Research Paper, RMIT
- The patient developed sudden onset of cough associated with shortness of breath after feeding: Health and Physical Education Case Study
- Evaluate the extent to which stereotypical representations are being challenged in the advertisement: Communications Essay, SUSS
- Use the following Singapore Airlines weblink For each of the categories – Liquidity, Leverage, Asset Management Profitability and Valuation ratios, compute and compare financial ratios: Finance Assignment, NUS